Kevin Spacey‘s legal team has demanded the sexual assault case against the actor be thrown out, accusing the victim and his former TV anchor mother of erasing text messages and other critical evidence to fit their story.
The former “House of Cards” star, who is accused of groping a teenage boy three years ago in a Nantucket bar, made a surprise appearance in a Massachusetts court on Monday as his attorney charged the victim with trying to extort Spacey.
Attorney Alan Jackson said the accuser’s phone contained his “frat boy activities” and other potential evidence and claimed the boy and his mother, former Boston TV anchor Heather Unruh, wiped the phone before handing it over to police.
“They cleansed it,” Jackson told the Nantucket District Court judge on Monday, Deadline reported.
“What troubles me, your honor,” Jackson continued, “the Commonwealth had all this information… we suspected this manipulation had been going on.”
The Oscar winner, 59, met the then-18-year-old busboy at Nantucket’s Club Car bar in July 2016 — and stands accused of groping him and plying him with drinks.
In a ruling released Thursday, Judge Thomas Barrett ordered the bar to turn over surveillance footage taken between 5 p.m. July 7, 2016, and 3 a.m. July 8, 2016, by Monday.
Spacey pleaded not guilty in January to a charge of indecent assault and battery. His lawyers have called the allegations “patently false.”
District Court Judge Thomas S. Barrett on Monday ignored pleas from Jackson that the criminal trial start as soon as possible, saying the court schedule meant an October or November trial was likely.
“Every day that this goes on, he suffers,” Jackson begged.
In court documents filed Friday, Spacey’s attorney again accused the man of deleting and falsifying key text messages.
The accuser “has gone to great lengths to remove text messages he believes did not fit his narrative,” Jackson wrote in his filing.
He asked prosecutors to hand over a “complete and unaltered” copy from the accuser’s cellphone, saying newly produced evidence confirms he “deleted exculpatory text messages and provided falsified screenshots of his conversation from the night in question to law enforcement.”
The alleged victim’s attorney declined to comment ahead of Monday’s hearing.
The next hearing in the case has been set for July 8.
Source: Read Full Article