Model, 24, transforms her bedside table into a trendy ‘cloud’ design – but concerned fans notice one ‘deadly’ detail in her video
- Australian model Hannah Perera recently got creative with her bedside table
- She covered it in construction foam filler, creating an artistic ‘cloud-like’ design
- The 24-year-old said she ‘had so much fun’ with the project – but fans are worried
- One man warned Ms Perera the industrial foam has been shown to cause cancer
A model has been warned of a potentially fatal detail lurking on her bedside table.
Hannah Perera, who has 321,000 followers on Instagram, on Tuesday uploaded a video of her latest DIY project – a table covered in construction foam filler which looks like a ‘cloud’, an interior trend that has emerged in recent months.
‘Had so much fun working on my little DIY project over the past couple of days,’ she wrote in the caption.
‘I think I may edit it a bit still though, but for now it’s looking pretty good next to my bed.’
While many fans praised the 24-year-old’s creativity, others expressed immediate concern about the material she had used.
Scroll down for video
Australian model Hannah Perera (left) transformed her bedside table into a ‘cloud’ (right) with industrial foam filler – much to the dismay of one of her 321,000 Instagram followers
An electrician replied, warning her that industrial foam filler has been linked to an increased risk of cancer.
‘You know it’s carcinogenic right?’ he wrote.
The comment appeared to hit a nerve, with Ms Perera responding: ‘So is pretty much everything on this planet.’
Scientists have demonstrated links between cancer and a plethora of foods, drinks and household substances in recent years.
Foam filler is laced with formaldehyde, a toxic chemical used in many household repair and cleaning products as well as in furniture.
Studies on lab rats and humans who are regularly exposed to formaldehyde through their jobs show it causes an increased risk of cancer.
Formaldehyde is typically listed in the top 10 most common carcinogens on earth.
An electrician replied to Ms Perera’s post, warning her that industrial foam filler (left and right) has been linked to cancer
One of these is formaldehyde, a naturally-occurring chemical made from hydrogen, oxygen and carbon.
Many household repair and cleaning products – including foam filler – are laced with formaldehyde, which can be fatal if it is ingested.
Low-level exposure over a prolonged period can result in skin conditions like dermatitis and lung complaints such as asthma.
Fans were concerned that Ms Perera (pictured) was exposing herself to cancer-causing substances
Studies on lab rats and humans who are regularly exposed to formaldehyde through their jobs show it causes an increased risk of leukaemia and rare cancers including cancer of the sinuses and nasal cavity.
It’s not clear what brand of foam filler Ms Perera used to decorate her table, but similar products to the one in the video include Parfix Triple Expanding Foam Filler which costs $9.70 at Bunnings.
The concerned tradesman continued to urged her to take care with the filler, conceding while many substances are carcinogenic, they are not as dangerous as ‘that stuff’.
‘I’m an electrician and we use maximum personal protective equipment [PPE] or we try not to use at all. Just giving you a heads up, that’s all,’ he wrote.
Ms Perera (pictured) thanked the electrician for sharing his expertise and said next time she experiments with filler she will ‘be using a face mask for sure, not just gloves’
It’s not clear what brand of foam filler Ms Perera used to decorate her table, but similar products to the one in the video include Parfix Triple Expanding Foam Filler (pictured) which costs $9.70 at Bunnings
Ms Perera thanked him for sharing his expertise and said next time she experiments with filler she will ‘be using a face mask for sure, not just gloves’.
Her video, which has racked up almost 500 likes since it was uploaded on Tuesday, has still drawn dozens of delighted responses.
‘Omg that’s incredible,’ one person wrote.
‘Very interesting,’ said a second, while a third added: ‘So cool, love it!’
Source: Read Full Article