The Alliance of Women Film Journalists has announced its 2020 AWFJ EDA winners, where the most-nominated film “Nomadland” walked away with six categories including best film, actress (Frances McDormand) and cinematography (Joshua James Richards). Filmmaker Chloé Zhao won three individual prizes for directing, adapted screenplay and editing.
The AWFJ recognizes the year’s best regardless of gender in the conventional “best of” categories and this year, women dominated on both sides. In a change from years prior, Jennifer Merin, founder and film critic, says, “we decided to exclude women who won Best Of Awards from competition in our Female Focus Award categories.”
Other winners included Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”) and Leslie Odom Jr. (“One Night in Miami”) in lead and supporting actor while Yuh-Jung Youn (“Minari”) won best supporting actress, surpassing Maria Bakalova (“Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”) in wins so far this awards season.
See the full winners list below.
AWFJ BEST OF AWARDS
(These awards are presented to women and/or men without gender consideration)
- “Minari” (A24)
- “Never Rarely Sometimes Always” (Focus Features)
- “Nomadland” (Searchlight Pictures) – WINNER
- “One Night in Miami” (Amazon Studios)
- “Promising Young Woman” (Focus Features)
- “The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix)
- Emerald Fennell, “Promising Young Woman” (Focus Features)
- Regina King, “One Night in Miami” (Amazon Studios)
- Kelly Reichardt, “First Cow” (A24)
- Aaron Sorkin, “The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix)
- Chloé Zhao, “Nomadland” (Searchlight Pictures) – WINNER
- Riz Ahmed, “Sound of Metal” (Amazon Studios)
- Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” (Netflix) – WINNER
- Delroy Lindo, “Da 5 Bloods” (Netflix)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Screenplay, Original
- “Mank” (Netflix) – Jack Fincher
- “Promising Young Woman” (Focus Features) – Emerald Fennell – WINNER
- “The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix) – Aaron Sorkin
Best Screenplay, Adapted
Best Animated Film
Best Non-English-Language Film
Best Ensemble Cast – Casting Director
EDA FEMALE FOCUS AWARDS
(These awards honor WOMEN only, excluding women who’ve won the category in the Best Of Awards.
Best Woman Director
Best Woman Screenwriter
Best Animated Female
Best Woman’s Breakthrough Performance
Outstanding Achievement by a Woman in the Film Industry
EDA SPECIAL MENTION AWARDS
Grand Dame Award for defying ageism.
Most Egregious Lovers’ Age Difference Award
She Deserves A New Agent Award
Most Daring Performance Award
Time Waster Remake or Sequel Award
AWFJ Hall of Shame Award
- Shia LeBoeuf for his ongoing abusive behavior
- Christopher Nolan for insisting that “Tenet” be screened exclusively in theaters during a pandemic. – WINNER (tie)
- Dallas Sonnier and Adam Donaghey at Cinestate for sexual harassment, abuse and cover-up. – WINNER (tie)
AWFJ is an international association of professional female movie critics, reporters and feature writers working in print, broadcast and online media. The EDAs are named in honor of AWFJ founder Jennifer Merin’s mother, Eda Reiss Merin, a stage, film and screen actress whose career spanned more than 60 years. A dedicated foot soldier in the industry, Eda was one of the founders of AFTRA and a long-standing member of AMPAS.
Source: Read Full Article