Liverpool apologise to Man City fan, 15, left 'scarred for life'

Liverpool apologise to Man City fan, 15, who has been left ‘scarred for life’ by a hard plastic pint cup filled with coins and liquid thrown from their supporters, as her dad appeals for help to find the culprit

  • Liverpool have officially apologised to the family of a Manchester City supporter
  • The 15-year-old girl was left ‘scarred for life’ by a projectile thrown by a Reds fan 
  • A hard plastic pint cup filled with coins and liquid was thrown from the away end
  • The child’s father has appealed for information which could help find the culprit 
  • Liverpool CEO Billy Hogan called the girl’s dad to offer an unreserved apology

Liverpool’s chief executive Billy Hogan personally apologised to the family of a 15-year-old Manchester City supporter injured at last week’s Carabao Cup match.

The girl was struck by a beer pot weighted by coins after it had been hurled from the away section at the Etihad Stadium. Her head wound was glued by paramedics and she has been left ‘scarred for life’, with a shocking photo of her bloodstained scarf emerging on social media.

Hogan called the child’s father to offer an ‘unreserved apology’ and maintained that Liverpool were committed to finding the perpetrator. The family – who have launched a campaign to identify the assailant – are set to meet City on Thursday. 

Liverpool’s chief executive Billy Hogan (left) has apologised to the family of a 15-year-old Manchester City supporter injured at last week’s Carabao Cup match between the two sides

She was injured by a hard plastic pint cup filled with coins and liquid thrown from the away end

A shocking image emerged on social media of the child’s bloodstained scarf (pictured above)

The incident occurred shortly after Fabio Carvalho had equalised in the 20th minute of a fourth-round clash that City eventually won 3-2.

‘We have had a call from Liverpool directly (Billy Hogan) who apologised unreservedly on behalf of the club,’ the father said. ‘I would like to stress they are as committed as we are to rooting this individual out of football and for them to face the consequences of their actions.’

He added: ‘Please don’t come at me with whataboutery. I completely condemn any incidents of violence from any football fans and any offensive chanting by fans of either side. She is a 15-year old who was enjoying watching her team with the rest of her family and she is now scarred for life. 

‘I would like to thank the dozens of Liverpool Football Club fans who have contacted us so far with kind messages of support in finding the perpetrator and also all friends and contacts who have been in touch. I am a Dad seeking justice for his injured daughter, that is all. All information gratefully received.’ 

The night was marred by disturbances, with disabled Liverpool fans allegedly subjected to racist abuse, leading to the arrest of a man. 

The clash between the Premier League rivals was marred by disturbances, with disabled Liverpool fans allegedly subjected to racist abuse, leading to the arrest of a man by police

City won the game 3-2 thanks to goals from Erling Haaland, Riyad Mahrez and Nathan Ake

It severely undermined the joint statement published by both clubs in the build-up, which had appealed for calm between the two sets of supporters in a rivalry that is becoming more toxic. 

In addition to the shocking incident involving the girl, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said they were aware of a ‘number of objects’ being thrown during the match.

A 53-year-old man, believed to be a City fan, was also taken to hospital after being assaulted after the game at the junction of Alan Turing Way and Ashton New Road.

Disabled Liverpool supporters were subjected to racial abuse during the clash, with GMP confirming that a man had been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence. 

Match commander Superintendent Gareth Parkin said the day after the match: ‘We are aware of a number of objects, including coins and a smoke bomb, that were thrown during the match.

There were a number of crowd disturbances during last week’s Carabao Cup tie at the Etihad


Pep Guardiola claimed he was targeted by coins when City lost at Anfield in October, and City said their team bus was also attacked, with damage to the windscreen pictured above (right)


City fans were accused of trashing the Anfield away end and singing Hillsborough chants

‘We will be investigating the incidents and reviewing CCTV from the night. Clearly throwing objects in a confined area can be dangerous, and have serious and sometimes devastating consequences. GMP sends its thoughts and wishes to the girl who was injured and wish her a speedy recovery.’

In a joint statement, the two clubs said: ‘Manchester City FC, Liverpool FC and the Chairs from our supporter groups have worked together in recent weeks to remind fans of our expectations and both clubs would like to thank the vast majority of fans for their behaviour at last night’s Carabao Cup match at the Etihad Stadium.

‘It is however hugely disappointing that there were a number of incidents during last night’s match that are wholly unacceptable. 

‘These incidents will be fully investigated, reported to the police and the individuals who are found to be responsible will be subject to the sanction process of their respective club.

‘Manchester City FC and Liverpool FC are fully committed to working together to eradicate these issues from our fixtures. They have no place in football.’

Anyone with information can call GMP on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article