- The United States Women’s National Team dominated Netherlands in the World Cup final to win the tournament for the second straight time.
- Megan Rapinoe once again scored for the Americans, securing the golden boot and a lead the United States would not give up.
- It’s the fourth time the American women have won the competition.
- Follow all of our Women’s World Cup coverage here.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The United States Women’s National Team are champions again.
USA dominated Netherlands on Sunday to lift the trophy for the second straight time, defeating the Dutch 2-0. The Americans controlled the action through most of the match, as has much been the case throughout the tournament.
After a first half filled with chances for the United States, the Americans finally broke through in the second half, with Megan Rapinoe once again scoring from the penalty spot after VAR awarded a foul in the box.
Rapinoe stepped to the spot, and as she has all throughout the competition, confidently deposited the ball in the back of the net to break a 0-0 tie, and give the Americans a lead they would not give up.
Read more: Megan Rapinoe scored 2 goals to put the Americans through to the World Cup semifinal and now everyone wants her to be president
You can watch Rapinoe’s goal below. If the first video doesn’t work in your location, try the second.
The Americans would add a second goal to seal the trophy just a few minutes later, with midfielder Rose Lavelle dashing past the Dutch defense and netting her third goal of the tournament.
It’s the fourth time the Americans have won the Women’s World Cup, and quite possibly their most dominant run through the tournament yet, having never trailed through all seven matches played, and scoring in the first 15 minutes in every game aside from the final.
When the best women’s teams in the world meet again in four years, the Americans will once again be defending their title.
Source: Read Full Article