Given the detailed Targaryen family tree George R. R. Martin develops in his Game of Thrones books, many fans are curious about which characters will appear in the upcoming HBO series House of Dragons. Learn more about the key ensemble of characters appearing in House of the Dragon. Plus, details about their background and how they fit into the Game of Thrones narrative.
‘House of the Dragon’ will debut in 2022 on HBO
House of the Dragon takes place 200 years before the fall of the throne we see in Game of Thrones. The Martin-inspired HBO series will detail the beginnings of House Targaryen, detailing the events that led to the Dance of the Dragons — the Targaryen civil war.
“Dreams didn’t make us kings,” a voice says in the trailer, which runs just over a minute long. “Dragons did.”
‘House of the Dragon’ cast includes actors from ‘Doctor Who,’ ‘Harry Potter,’ and ‘Bates Motel’
Like Game of Thrones, House of the Dragon will feature a star-studded cast of talent. Here’s a list of characters and what we know about them so far:
- King Viserys I (Paddy Considine): He inherited the throne from his grandfather Jaehaerys I, known in Martin’s books as the man who created the Seven Kingdoms. Viserys I ruled during the “apex of Targaryen power.”
- Rhaenyra Targaryen (Emma D’Arcy): She is the only surviving child of Viserys who eventually becomes Princess of Dragonstone. Also known as the “Realm’s Delight,” Rhaenyra must contend with her mother-in-law, who wishes her son Aegon to take the throne. She also faces judgement surrounding her rumored love affair with Daemon, her uncle.
- Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith of Doctor Who fame): The hot-tempered brother of King Viserys, Daemon serves as the Master of Coin and eventually Laws. Daemon seeks glory and power. According to The Hollywood Reporter, who lists him as “heir to the throne,” he may achieve that.
- Otto Hightower (Rhys Ifans of Harry Potter fame): He serves as the Hand of the King for Viserys and his grandfather before him, Jaehaerys. A rift between Otto and Daemon allows Otto to inspire the king to remove his brother from the council.
- Alicent Hightower (Olivia Cooke of Bates Motel fame): The daughter of Otto Hightower, Alicent becomes Viserys I’s bride after Aemma dies. Alicent’s role in the history of the Seven Kingdoms is paramount, as she is the mother of Viserys’ son Aegon.
- Corlys Velaryon (Steve Toussaint): Also known as “The Sea Snake,” Corlys is married to Rhaenys. He is the father of daughter Laena and son Laenor, whom he believes should claim the throne over Viserys.
Other key characters in House of the Dragon include: Ser Vaemond Velaryon (Wil Johnson), Ser Laenor Velaryon (John Macmillan), Lady Laena Velayron (Savannah Steyn), and Ser Laenor Velaryon (Theo Nate).
How to watch the ‘Game of Thrones’ spinoff
Episodes of House of the Dragon will be available to HBO subscribers through cable or the HBO Max app. Those who subscribe to HBO through Amazon Prime will access their content through Amazon’s streaming platform.
Viewers without a subscription to HBO can purchase individual episodes or seasons of House of the Dragon through Amazon Prime. House of the Dragon is expected to premiere on HBO in 2022.
Source: Read Full Article