Dad forced to amputate leg when ingrown hair turned out to be deadly spider bite

A man was shocked when heard that small bump on his ankle that he figured was ingrown hair was actually the reason he had to amputate his leg – and that it was actually a potentially deadly spider bite.

Stephen Craker, 62, from Queensland Australia was in a garden, giving a quote from a maintenance job when he was bitten by a white-tail spider at a Kippa-Ring home, 27km northeast of Brisbane.

When he got back home, Craker noticed a small bump near his ankle which he dismissed as an ingrown hair, according to The Courier-Mail.

However, after a few days, the pain became too much to ignore, resulting in him going to the GP and getting some prescriptions for antibiotics.

Things got worse as on October 24, three days after the bite, the dad was in so much pain that he couldn't walk.

After another trip to the hospital and a visit by a home doctor, he was advised to continue taking his antibiotics and was given some medication for pain relief.

His condition further worsened a few days later when the bite developed into a painful infection, causing his family to call an ambulance to Redcliffe Hospital.

The doctors performed two surgeries on his leg, and desperately tried to remove the infected tissue from his left leg. However it clear after a while that he had developed necrosis and his only option was get amputate his leg.

Mr Crakers daughter Mish Jones began a GoFundMe campaign to help her father with the financial costs of his rehabilitation and medical expenses.

  • Woman rushed to hospital after 'false widow' spider attacked as she sat on the toilet

Ms Jones said her father had gone through 'absolute hell' in the last month and that she just wanted to 'make him smile again'.

'It is killing me to watch my dear loved one go from being the happiest I've seen to having his entire world turned upside down,' she said.

'He is now currently trying to heal and get better, however, knowing that he has lost his job opportunities has completely broken his heart and it's extremely hard to watch.'

Tests that were later carried out confirmed that he was bit by a white-tailed spider, which are very common in Australia.

While these creatures are non-venomous, in some rare cases painful blistering and ulceration can occur leading to severe complications.

Source: Read Full Article