Derek Chauvin files for new trial after murder conviction

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin filed an appeal for a new trial Tuesday after being convicted last month of murdering George Floyd.

Chauvin’s attorney, Eric Nelson, filed the request alleging that Chauvin's ability to have a fair trial was affected by pretrial publicity.

The motion alleges that the court abused its discretion by denying the requests for a change in venue and a new trial.

Since the court failed to sequester the jury or "admonish them to avoid all media," Nelson's filing said, they were not only subjected to prejudicial publicity but also "jury intimidation or potential fear of retribution."

The motion alleges eight total abuses of discretion by the court.

Nelson's filing also accuses Minnesota state prosecutors of committing "pervasive, prejudicial prosecutorial misconduct" that also allegedly affected Chauvin's right to receive a fair trial.

The filing also requested an order “to impeach the verdict” on “the grounds that the jury committed misconduct, felt threatened or intimidated, felt race-based pressure during the proceedings, and/or failed to adhere to instructions during deliberations.”

Nelson, said he had no comment on his motion for a new trial.

A jury found Chauvin guilty of second- and third-degree murder, as well as second-degree manslaughter in Floyd's May 2020 death.

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

Source: Read Full Article