Killer stepmum who filmed boy, 3, as he lay dying instead of calling 999 after sending his dad chilling text is jailed | The Sun

A KILLER stepmum who filmed her three-year-old stepson as he lay dying before sending her partner a chilling text has been jailed.

Harvey Borrington suffered a fractured skull and bleed on the brain after being slapped "multiple" times in the head.

The stricken toddler was filmed moaning on the living room floor by Leila Borrington, who claimed she made the harrowing clip to show paramedics.

Before eventually calling 999, the 23-year-old texted Harvey's dad, asking: "Why does this always happen to me?"

She later sent another message reading: "Don't leave the kids with me again."

Borrington has now been jailed for 15 years after she was convicted of manslaughter but cleared of murder.

Read more news

Two kids ‘murdered’ schoolgirl, 12, who was found stabbed to death in forest

Reward offered in unsolved murder 10 years after woman found dead at her home

She was also convicted of assault and causing grievous bodily harm after attacking Harvey on separate occasions.

Nottingham Crown Court heard how the stepmum was looking after the boy at home in Jacksdale, Nottinghamshire, when the horror unfolded.

Harrowing footage showed Harvey, who was autistic and non-verbal, lying motionless on a rug in the living room.

The tragic toddler could be heard moaning as Borrington yelled "Harvey, Harv" before sending the three-minute clip to his dad.

Most read in The Sun


Christine McGuinness in tears as she reveals reason she split from Paddy


Prem owner pockets £1.2m after one of biggest bets EVER at Cheltenham


Blow to motorists as car tax to rise from April – check how much more you'll pay


The Spring Budget's winners and losers – how it will affect you and your money

Sickeningly, she even picked up Harvey's arm and dropped it to the floor before finally ringing 999 to claim he had fallen.

Prosecutor Jonas Hankin KC said: "The tone of her voice, when calling Harvey's name, in her attempts to rouse him – if that's an accurate description, we say it is not – suggest an absence of compassion.

"The lifting and dropping of his arm in that way, similarly, appears to show indifference to the obvious severity of his condition."

Paramedics arrived to find Harvey "floppy" and unconscious so decided to rush him to hospital.

On the way, Borrington told the ambulance driver "it always happened when Harvey was with her".

She also text her partner, saying: "[Harvey] got up and was running riot, playing happily as ever, running between the sofas and then stood up on one and just came backwards…smacking his head off the floor."

Harvey tragically couldn't be saved and died on August 9, 2021 – two days after falling ill at home.

A post mortem revealed he had suffered trauma to the head, which had caused damage to the brain.

Medics found he had sustained other injuries in the weeks leading up to his death – including a broken arm, scrape on his back and marks on his ears and face.

Borrington tried claiming the injuries were either self-inflicted or happened when she pulled Harvey up after he tripped on the stairs.

But jurors were told the stepmum had "twisted and turned" her story to suit the evidence.

The prosecutor also said Borrington targeted Harvey as he was unable to communicate when he was in pain.

Detective Inspector Simon Harrison, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: "This was a tragic incident that shocked the local community.

"Harvey was a much-loved little boy who was cherished by his parents and his wider family.

Read More on The Sun

Matalan shoppers rush to buy £22 dress that fans say ‘doesn’t crease’

I’m a mum-of-one – Universal Credit change in Budget is ‘game-changer’ for me

"As a police officer I am pleased with the decision of the jury in this case, but I acutely aware that it is of no consolation to those left behind.

"This has been a very lengthy and difficult investigation and I would like to thank everyone involved in getting us to this point."

Source: Read Full Article