Paralysed Afghan toddler injured during withdrawal trapped by red tape

Paralysed Afghan toddler injured during chaotic withdrawal is trapped by red tape despite civil servants promising to help him

  • Paralysed toddler endured another week in agony despite reassurances of help
  • Navid, two, was injured in August during chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan
  • The Government previously said it would be urgently looking into the case
  • But it took Foreign Office official five days to contact Navid’s family 

A paralysed Afghan toddler has endured another week in agony despite repeated reassurances from British civil servants that they would help him.

Two-year-old Navid was injured in August during the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan when a suicide bomber killed 183 people at Kabul airport. 

After his case was raised by The Mail on Sunday last week, the Government said it would be urgently looking into this case.

But it took a Foreign Office official five days to contact his family, only to ask for information that had been provided months ago.

Two-year-old Navid (pictured) was injured in August during the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan when a suicide bomber killed 183 people at Kabul airport

Specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London have agreed to help Navid, and Foreign Office officials offered reassurances that they would attempt to evacuate him. 

But almost four months after the attack, Navid and his family remain at risk from the Taliban in Kabul.

Dr Zuzanna Olszewska of the University of Oxford who has helped the family, said: ‘The glacial pace of this process is disappointing.’ 

A Government spokesman said: ‘We are urgently looking into this case and will be contacting the family.’

Specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital (pictured) in London have agreed to help Navid, and Foreign Office officials offered reassurances that they would attempt to evacuate him

Source: Read Full Article