Residents ‘left to rot’ in mould-infested block where mice fall from ceiling

Furious residents say their lives are a living hell as they have been "left to rot" in a mould-infested tower block where mice fall from the ceiling and rain pours in from leaking roofs.

The locals living at Jordan House in Castle Bromwich, Birmingham say it "literally rains indoors" and has mould so thick it can "almost be tasted".

More than 50 families reside at the high-rise block in which they claim they are being forced to live in horrific conditions.

READ MORE: Mum splashes £250k on massive derelict castle – without telling her husband

These, they say, include the threat of leaking water getting into the electrics at the building, which is also infested with rats and mice.

Residents say they've had little or no support from Birmingham City Council and feel like they have "simply been left to rot".

Chase Simper, 26, who lives with his partner Tammy Hill, 29, fears for the health of their two children Mason, seven, and four-year-old Cody.

The former warehouse worker said a mouse even landed on his shoulder after dropping from a lift shaft while one of his sons found a mouse in his bed at night.

The couple say they also have to heat their children's clothes up in the morning using a hair dryer because they are so damp and they have no working heating.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .

Chase, who has started a petition calling on the council to re-home residents, said he's at the end of his tether.

He said the place has been a health and fire hazard since they moved in six years ago, starting with a lack of heating, which set the tone for things to come.

"Now it literally rains inside our house," he said.

"The leaking is non-stop, we are forever putting towels down but they are soaked after a few hours.

"The other night at 2.30am we were awoken by our fire alarm as water had got in and set fire to it.

"After the fire service came, all the council did was come and wrap some tape around the wires.

"We've had over 300 repair notices in six years.'

Chase added: "The council did provide some new kitchens, living rooms and bedrooms for some flats – but they had to rip those out again because all those got water damaged."

Chase and Tammy say they have spent £500 on pest control and more than £7,000 redecorating their home, where they pay £130-a-week to live.

A Birmingham City Council spokesperson said: "We are aware of resident’s petition regarding Jordan House and apologise for any inconvenience our refurbishment works have caused.

"However, these are essential to ensure the property is maintained to a good standard."

"Regarding the roof leak, a new temporary roof covering is being installed on Friday of this week before a new roof is fitted as part of the wider major works.

"Our pest control officer will work with the residents to eradicate any rodents.

"Regarding the internal works to properties, 95 per cent of the tenants' flats have now been completed (this includes a new kitchen/ bathroom/electrical re-wiring/new heating systems/sprinklers and smoke alarms and a new fire rated door entrance).

"There was a delay in completing the works due to a change in contractor, but they are now in place and they will be fitting a new roof and completing any outstanding structural works, both internally externally, within the next few weeks.

"To bring the block up to the current regulations regarding fire safety standards, a new thermally-efficient external wall insulation will need to be fitted.

"In order for this to take place and to minimise the disruption to tenants, Birmingham City Council will look at decanting the affected customer to another floor of the block if space is available or moving them into nearby temporary accommodation whilst these works are undertaken."

READ NEXT:

  • Inside Elon Musk's plush bolt hole where billionaire reportedly lives with new twins

  • Brits are more likely to fall in 'love at first sight' – with a house than with a partner

  • Council tenant's home found crawling with cockroaches as dozens scurry from cooker hob

  • Student block is a 'disaster waiting to happen', with no hot water and daily break-ins

  • Man comes home to find stranger moved into flat while he was away but can't kick him out

Source: Read Full Article