Rioter who set fire to Minneapolis precinct in Floyd protests and filmed it on Snapchat fined $12M and gets prison time

A RIOTER who burned a Minneapolis police station during the George Floyd protests and filmed it on Snapchat has been fined $12million and sentenced to prison time.

Dylan Shakespeare Robinson, 23, will serve four years in prison, according to the US Attorney’s Office District of Minnesota, and owe the money as restitution.

He will also serve two years of supervised release as part of his sentencing.

Robinson will serve his sentence in a Duluth corrections facility.

Court documents show that Robinson went to the Third Precinct on the night of May 28, 2020, where hundreds of people had gathered.

At one point during the protest the crowd began chanting, “Burn it down, burn it down.”

A short while after a security fence was torn down and Robinson, along with other co-conspirators, breached the fence and entered the building.

Robinson then lit an object held by an unidentified co-conspirator who threw it at the Third Precinct building with the intent it would start a fire or fuel an existing one.

"On the night of May 28, 2020, Mr Robinson chose to depart from lawful protest and instead engaged in violence and destruction.

“The arson at the Minneapolis Police Department's Third Precinct put lives at risk and contributed to widespread lawlessness in Minneapolis," said acting US Attorney Anders Folk. "With today's sentence, Mr. Robinson is held accountable for his actions."

Robinson previously pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit arson on December 15, 2020.

Co-conspirators Bryce Michael Williams, 27, Davon DeAndre Turner, 25, and Branden Michael Wolfe, 23, have all pleaded guilty to one count each of conspiracy to commit arson for their roles in the arson at the Third Precinct building.

They are expected to be sentenced at a later date.

Nights of protests and violence in Minneapolis were sparked following the death of George Floyd, 46, on May 25, 2020.

Videos and photos showed cop Derek Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck.

Floyd became unresponsive and later died.

Protesters torched the precinct station that the department abandoned.

Video showed the protesters entering the building, where fire alarms blared and sprinklers ran as fires were set.

In the aftermath of the riots, images revealed smoldering buildings, shattered windows, and remnants of fires still burning.

Those protesting Floyd's death had initially gathered at the intersection where Floyd died and at the Minneapolis Police Department's 3rd Precinct.

Hours later, the Lake and Hiawatha areas had descended into total chaos, with looting, violence, and fires.

At least one under construction apartment block was reported to have been burned down – and a factory also caught fire.

Fire crews responded to about 30 intentionally set blazes during the protests, including at least 16 structure fires.

Protests also spread to other US cities — including in California and Tennessee.

In Los Angeles, hundreds of people blocked a freeway and shattered windows of California Highway Patrol cruisers.

While in Memphis, local police blocked a main thoroughfare after a racially mixed group of protesters gathered outside a police precinct.

    Source: Read Full Article