Shocking X-ray image shows a coin lodged in a toddler's throat

Shocking X-ray image shows a coin lodged in a toddler’s throat after she swallowed it while playing

  • A three-year-old girl in China swallowed a coin while playing by herself at home
  • She was rushed to a Guangxi hospital after starting to throw up and feel nausea
  • Medics spotted the round object stuck at the young patient’s throat on a CT scan
  • The toddler recovered after undergoing emergency surgery to remove the coin

A three-year-old girl has a coin removed from her body in China after she swallowed it while playing at home.

The child was rushed to a hospital after she soon started throwing up and feeling nausea, her mother told the doctors.

A shocking X-ray image reveals the round object stuck at the back of the young patient’s throat after medics conducted a CT scan. 

A three-year-old girl has a coin removed from her body in China after she swallowed it while playing at home. The picture shows the round object stuck at the back of the patient’s throat

The incident was brought to light after the parent brought the toddler to seek medical attention at the Nanning Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Guangxi province. The picture shows the coin after it was removed from the three-year-girl’s body in China 

The incident was brought to light after the parent brought the toddler to seek medical attention at the Nanning Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Guangxi province.

The little girl, nicknamed Bei Bei, had been staying at home with her grandmother on Friday morning, said a hospital report.

She is said to have picked up a one-yuan coin from a table and swallowed it before the grandmother noticed what had happened.

Depending on the version of the currency, one-yuan coins usually measure about 25 millimetres (0.98 inches) wide.

The horrified grandparent immediately called Bei Bei’s parents who then rushed home to check on their daughter.

‘She kept throwing up after she swallowed the coin,’ the mother later told the hospital. ‘But [she] couldn’t get the coin out.’

The parent then took her daughter to the hospital after the young child’s condition worsened.

After conducting a CT scan on Bei Bei, doctors spotted the metal object lodged at the upper part of the patient’s oesophagus, a muscular tube connecting the throat with the stomach.

The surgeons immediately scheduled an emergency operation to remove the coin from the toddler’s throat.

Bei Bei has been discharged from the Nanning hospital following the surgery, according to the report.

Doctors warned parents about the danger of children swallowing foreign objects by accident.

‘We want to remind all the parents to ensure that [their infants and toddlers] stay away from small objects and toys,’ a medic said to Pear Video. 

‘They are very likely to swallow it when they are frightened or not paying attention.’ 

Source: Read Full Article